devices\PIC12F629.dev missing

Problems or tips related to the use of WxPic

devices\PIC12F629.dev missing

Postby Bakkern » 24, 2009 Aug Mon 6:10 pm

Hay there :)

Since you seem to have the only piece of software i can come across that supports winxp sp3 in a descent way, I went ahead and tried this li'll piece of software. To me it seems to work great (Note: I'm barely an amateur in the world of electronics and PIC programming, I basically find the hex files and schematics on-line, and build them :P )

But when trying to change to the PIC12F629 chip, I get some kind of error saying that I'm missing the PIC12F629.dev file (devices\PIC12F629.dev). OK! So I found myself a file called PIC12F629.dev, and the most logical thing for me to do was to open in in notepad, and copy the contents into the devices.ini file.

Now the program wont start (kinda): can't open file 'devices\PIC12F629.dev' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified). I press ok, but "Wx PIC Programmer" still appear in the.. open-folders-and-programs-line (Brain-freeze, can't remember the name.. :) )

Guess I shouldn't have done that, huh.. :)

Any ideas what to do?
Bakkern

Re: devices\PIC12F629.dev missing

Postby admin » 25, 2009 Aug Tue 8:43 am

Welcome to my first user :)
I realize that I did not explained enough this aspect of the software. You need to get chips description files from Microchip in order for WxPic to know all the details of your device. So you need to install MPLAB the IDE from Microchip to get these files on your computer. Then you will have to indicate to WxPic where those files are installed in the Option tab of WxPic (search for the MPLAB DEV file directory). You just have to do that once. WxPic will remember that place at next startup.

I'll try to emphasize this in the help for next users.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Bakkern » 25, 2009 Aug Tue 9:00 pm

Thanks :) Never been the fist user of a forum, I feel so special :P

But anyways!

I downloaded MPlab IDE, found the .DEV files and uninstalled WxPIC because of that blasted "can't open file 'devices\PIC12F629.dev' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified)"- error when I tried to start the program.

So I installed it again, and I still get the same error! Tried to delete the remaining contents in the installation folder, restart after uninstallation, install on a different location: same error. Perhaps the uninstallation wizard isn't thoural enough? I don't know.
Bakkern

Postby admin » 27, 2009 Aug Thu 9:05 am

Unfortunately WxPic is unable to detect alone the location of the .DEV file. I could try to add this function. But for now you need to tell to WxPic where to find these files. If you saw them on your hard disk after MPLAB installation that's a good point.
Note the location where those files are.
Then Start WxPic.
Acknowledge the Error3 that does not prevent WxPic to work (I hope !).
Go to the Option panel.
Click on the ... button at right of the input field that is below the label MPLAB DEV file directory.
Search for and select the directory of the Dev files.
Then WxPic should be fully operational. To verify you can exit (of course NOT using the exit without saving the setting option as you MUST save this new setting) and then restart. This annoying Error 3 should have disappeared.

I really need to clarify that point in the next version by replacing this default system error text by the explanation of how to fix it. I did not realize how weak this message is as I do all my tests with a setting file that points on the DEV directory. I created a bug report (#0000012) to track it.

PS: I am not at home (holiday time) so my responses are delayed by a limited Internet access.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Bakkern » 27, 2009 Aug Thu 2:55 pm

Heh, it kinda doesn't work. :) I press OK when error3 appears, Wx PIC Programmer appears on the windows-bar, but nothing really happens. It won't open (Even after the reinstalling the programs, as i mentioned). Kinda strange.

And there is no need for an auto detection feature. I personally don't see the need for it anyways. Wouldn't want the program to get all bloated either.
Bakkern

Postby admin » 29, 2009 Aug Sat 3:17 pm

That's strange because it works for me on my 3 PC (VISTA and 2 different XP). But I may have a DLL that is installed when I install my development tools and that you don't have. But Usually in that case Windows pops up a warning message not always clear but that indicates that something is missing. I will try on a PC that has never seen a development tool to check if I can reproduce your problem. Or I may try to give you a debug version that logs traces to understand where is the blocking point...

I hope I can tell you more soon. I just came back home.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 29, 2009 Aug Sat 5:08 pm

I did some tests. On an empty partition where I installed an old XP (though already SP2) WxPic starts without error even without the directory defined.
On my Laptop with VISTA I did the same and I get this Error 3. This error is generated by the wxWidgets framework and not under the control of my own code. I will dig into this mechanism to understand how it can block the application to show up.

Edited later: Before I will try to upgrade my SP2 to SP3 to get a configuration as close as possible to yours. I never installed this version (once you have got a good version of Windows you avoid to upgrade because usually the next one is crappy !)
And other possibility: though I gave the possibility for the installer to run in a user account I never tested to run the program in a user account. I should have !!! I will...
Are you under a user or an admin account?

Yet Later: No effect of installing SP3. I still get no error.
When run in user mode I get the error about the driver that can't work without having been installed by a privileged user. But that was expected and still does not prevent WxPic to start. So I will probably have to give you a version with traces to understand where the application stops!
admin
Site Admin

Postby Bakkern » 29, 2009 Aug Sat 8:43 pm

Oh god, I feel like such a newb right now. Guess who kinda didn't right click and press "Maximize" on the button tab. I should go and sit in the corner. :oops: I just pressed it like a mindless zombie, without realizing it was locked to minimized or something.

So it works now! Added the .dev files and error3 is no more. Yay for me. :)

Sorry for the trouble dude..

Edit: Do Wx PIC support the following programmer? I guess no, since I can't get anything to work.. You see, I bought this after unsuccessfully creating my own.

JDM-2 only? The one I have is just JDM?
Bakkern

Postby admin » 29, 2009 Aug Sat 9:41 pm

I prefer that because I had really no idea of what the problem was!
The good thing is that I realized that I have to explain correctly this DEV directory thing.

I will check the schema of your adapter that fortunately is provided in its datasheet. It is quite simple so the analysis should be simple and considering its technology I would be surprised if WxPic is not able to manage it. Though it's late here, so I may not answer with more details before tomorrow morning.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » 30, 2009 Aug Sun 11:16 am

admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to WxPic Usage